Welcome to Issue 2 of the Better Guide!
This is my monthly guide-- a most-random resource list of all things food, drink, faith, fitness, and fun. I publish this guide at the end of every month (consider it a wrap-up of the last 30 or so days) and I am making a single promise to you in creating and curating the resource list: I promise to seek the better. I promise to gather resources, apps, news, and test them out first. I’ll be the guinea pig, ready to report back my findings. I promise not to report things that are fake, way too much money, or will ultimately do nothing for your life but distract you. Life is precious and I ain’t toying with your hours nor could I ever, in good conscience, recommend a $600 gym bag to you. I promise to be fair, real, transparent, and ultimately focused on the better. Better health. Better work. Better relationships. All the better.
- I'm wrapping this book up today and I have to tell you- I'm obsessed. He gets right to the point and he doesn't dance around it. I needed this book in more ways than I could say. A beautiful read for anyone who wants to know God better and see what he's all about.
- "He and I, on the other hand, were doing our arithmetic separately, in each of our messy minds. And while I will never understand how someone could hold the full weight of me in his arms and choose to let go, I understand that his final calculus was different from mine."
- This January and February, I wrote my first Bible study. It's been a longtime goal of mine. I wanted to create something free for my readership and this is the result: a 15-session study on following Jesus in a follower-obsessed culture. I hope you enjoy!
Better Looks + Listens.
- If you are a fan of true crime shows + podcasts, I would recommend you check out Up & Vanished. It swept the nation in 2017. Lane and I became hooked on this podcast and even attended the live finale in Atlanta. The creator of Up & Vanished recently came out with a new podcast. It's a few weeks in but I am really loving the premise and how much I am learning about my city from it.
- I'm known to spend my workouts listening to Levi Lusko. This recent sermon on the power of mornings + evenings has been a game changer for me.
- Set up your Netflix for optimal viewing with this list. At first glance, I've seen very few of these movies so I've got some watching to do.
The Better Home options today come from one of my favorite spots to shop on the Internet- Huckberry. I basically don't have to go anywhere to shop for Lane when the holidays hit. All of his favorite brands are in one place. It's like a pop-up shop of creative makers on the Internet.
I've got some friends over at Huckberry and they kindly hooked all first-time shoppers and readers of the Better Guide up! Use the code "betterguide" during the month of March for 20% off your first buy. Holla for deals, y'all!
- To know me is to know I love good, black coffee. I'm pretty jazzed about this manual coffeemaker. It makes all my coffee dreams come true! It combines the ability to brew a full pot of pour-over, French press, or cold brew in a sleek design. We getting fancy with our brew, huh?
- I freaked a little bit when I found this on Huckberry because I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE. If you know nothing about Kintsugi then let's get educated first. This is an age-old method for repairing broken things and I honestly want to break a few dishes just so I can use this repair kit.
- Need a gift idea for the guy or girl in your life who loves to workout? Or just want to invest in yourself? We love Ursa Major and this Exercise Freak bundle will cover you after any sweat session.
- I've been a faithful subscriber to the Book of the Month Club for the last year. But it wasn't until the other day, when my friend Dawn came over to borrow some books for her beach trip, that I realized the impact this subscription has in my reading life. I only recommended BOTM choices to her. That's how good I find their reads. If you are a reader, this subscription is for you. A newly released hardcover delivered to your door each month? Yes, please!
- This is quickly becoming one of my favorite newsletters in my inbox. It is for all us wild ones who prefer to spend Friday night getting crazy on the couch... with a book... and a glass of wine... after a bubble bath. You'll love their playful suggestions and it's a really fun way to usher in the weekend!
- I'm just starting to use this app but I love the premise behind it. It's all about knowing the quality of the brands you're shopping-- how they treat their employees, what working conditions are like, how they treat animals. It feels like a good first step for someone like me who wants to be aware of the back story behind the brands I am shopping. Check it out!
- I'm not in college anymore but I know a bunch of you are. I definitely needed this app when I was in college.
- "Have you ever used the browser extension called Honey? It automatically runs coupon codes through at checkout and applies the best one. It saves me a little here and there (and especially saves me the time of having to search for coupon codes!), and it's FREE to put on your browser. Doesn't get much better, in my opinion." - Abbey
- I love goal setting and can attest to how setting them changed my life and business. I recently came across this and I'm intrigued. I am planning to try it out for the month of March. I'll report back!
- I get asked all the time where I get my organizational things from. Look no further, this company is my #1.